Obituaries and Death Notices
Volume 4 (1883) pages 234-235
DEATH OF RANDOLPH STRICKLAND.
A telegram received here this morning, May 5th, 1881, announced the death of Hon. Randolph Strickland at Battle Creek, whither he went about four weeks ago to try, as a last resort, the merits of the Sanitarium. But it was too late; consumption had laid its remorseless hand upon him, and he grew rapidly worse after the change.
Randolph Strickland was born in Dansville, Steuben Co., N. Y., February 4, 1823. When twenty-one years of age he started for Michigan, and in December, 1844, commenced teaching school for ten dollars per month in Ingham county. The next summer he labored as a farm hand and the following fall-commenced the study of law, and in October, 1849, was admitted to practice in all of the courts of this State. In the spring of 1850 he commenced the practice of his profession at De Witt, then the county seat of Clinton county. Two years later he was elected prosecuting attorney, giving such satisfaction that he was called to the responsible position four successive terms. He was a delegate to the national convention at Philadelphia in 1856, and voted for the nomination of John C. Fremont. In 1860 Mr. Strickland was elected to the State senate, and declined a re-nomination in 1862 to again accept the office of prosecuting attorney of this county.
Mr. Strickland removed from De Witt to St. Johns in 1862. In 1863 President Lincoln appointed him provost marshal for the sixth congressional district of Michigan, which position he held until the close of the war.
In 1868 he was nominated for congress by the republicans of this district, then composed of eighteen counties, and was elected by 3,400 majority. He left the republican party during the Greeley campaign and was identified with the democratic party until the greenback party entered the political arena, when he at once became one of its most prominent members, his name appearing upon the greenback ticket in 1880 for Secretary of State.
Mr. Strickland was the earliest and one of the most successful lawyers of Clinton county, was closely identified with its development, and few men will leave, upon their death, a larger circle of friends to mourn their loss.
The deceased leaves a wife and four daughters, grown to womanhood, who will be comfortably provided for, Mr. Strickland having carried an insurance of $15,000 upon his life. The Knights Templar, of whose lodge he was an honored member, will have charge of his funeral.
The remains of the late Randolph Strickland arrived here from Battle Creek on the 11:15 A. M. train on Friday, May 12, 1881, and were conducted to the family residence by the Knights Templar, in uniform, and resident members of the Clinton county bar.
The funeral services were conducted at the Congregational church on Sunday last by the Sir Knights. The St. Johns city band furnished appropriate music and headed the procession from the home to the church, and as they neared the church they played the beautiful selection "Flee as a Bird," and we think they never played sweeter or more soul-stirring music. The church was beautifully decorated and a large concourse of people were present, many more than could comfortably find seats, to pay their last respects to the deceased. After a solemn 'service the remains were escorted to DeWitt for burial, where they were placed at rest beside two other members of the family who died during Mr. Strickland's residence in DeWitt. It is estimated that upwards of forty teams were in the procession from this place, and several hundred friends of the deceased from DeWitt and vicinity were at the cemetery upon their arrival, to add their testimonial of respect to the distinguished dead. (From the Clinton Republican.)
OLIVER DAVIS, whose death at Elsie, May 19, was noted in last week's Republican, was born at Mayfleld, Montgomery county, N. Y., March 11, 1797. In 1855 he came to Duplain township, and settled upon a farm one mile south of Elsie, where he lived until his removal to the village in 1865. He spent his earlier years in farming and carpenter work, but later worked at shoemaking. He buried four wives between 1827 and 1870, leaving his fifth wife a widow. (From the Clinton Republican, June 2, 1881.)
Volume 5 (1884) pages 333-337
ELDRIDGE G. WILLINGTON, JR., an old resident of this county, died at his home in Bengal township, aged 43 years. The disease of which he died was contracted while serving his country in the war of the Rebellion. He was a man respected by his neighbors for his integrity and uprightness in all things.
WM. W. WEBB, a pioneer of De Witt, died May 12, 1881, aged 75 years. Mr. Webb purchased the southwest quarter of Sec. 6, in 1835, and moved with his family on the same in 1836, where he has lived to the date of his death. He was an honest, upright man, filling various positions of trust in the township. Many of the pioneers of the early days of Clinton county will attest to his willingness to assist those in need and distress.
REV. H. P. BARKER died at his home in Victor township, May 15, 1881, in his 50th year. He was born in Rochester, N. Y., in 1832, and came to Michigan and settled in Duplain township at an early day. He was ordained by Bishop Ames, in 1862.
JOHN HAIRE died at his home near Shepardsville, August 17th, 1881, in his 77th year. He was born in Ireland in 1804; came to this country in 1827, and moved to Michigan in 1841, becoming a resident in Ovid township in 1859. In his intercourse with friends and neighbors he was affable and courteous; a man of but few words, but those few always to the purpose; honorable and upright, making many friends and no enemies.
MRS. R. L. SMITH died at the residence of her son, H. C. Hale, in Lebanon, Nov. 28, 1881, aged 84 years. Mrs. Smith moved with her two sons, John R. and H. C. Hale, to Michigan in 1841, and settled in Ingham county. They came to this county in 1845.
HON. WM. SHEPARD died Feb. 4, 1882, in his 67th year. He was born in Saratoga county, N. Y., in 1815; came to Michigan in 1843 and settled in Duplain. Mr. Shepard acted a prominent part in the settlement and development of Clinton county. At Duplain, Maple Rapids, and Shepardsville he did the work of a pioneer, and did it well. During his life he has been engaged in farming, mercantile, and milling business, and in the practice of law. He was Judge of the county court in 1851. He was prominent in the county Pioneer Society, and one of its charter members.
MRS. SAMUEL FORMAN, of De Witt, died Feb. 26, 1882, aged 68. She was born in New Jersey, in 1814; married in 1832, and moved with her husband to Wayne county, Michigan, in 1836. They settled in Watertown. She was devoted to the welfare of those around her.
MORRIS FEDEWA died at the home of his son, John H., in St. Johns, April 2, 1882, aged 70 years. He was born in Germany, in 1812; emigrated to this country in 1842 and settled in Dallas, where he cleared 80 acres of land. On account of business complications he lost his property in 1860. He then moved to Westphalia and cleared up a new farm and made a comfortable home.
CHARLES BURT died at his home in Essex, March 30, 1882, aged 62 years. He was born in the State of New York in 1821, and came to Michigan in 1839 and settled in De Witt. In 1854 he moved into Essex and settled upon the farm upon which he has since lived. He had the esteem and respect of the community.
Randolph Strickland was born in Dansville, Steuben county, New York, February 4, 1823. His ancestors were from England, coming to this country in the sixteenth century. John Strickland, his grandfather, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. His father came from Massachusetts to Dansville, New York, in 1816, and was among the first to make his home in what was then termed "the west."
Schools were few and of the poorest kind. Very few books were to be found in the neighborhood. Under the instruction of his mother, who was a woman of strong mind, young Strickland learned to read and write, and when ten years old he had read every book to be found in the immediate vicinity of his home-including the Bible, which he had read twice throngh by course. He was the oldest of seven children, and when he was twelve years old his mother died. From that time he was compelled to labor daily to assist in supporting the family, and had no opportunity for study except after the day's work was done; then with his book in hand, by light made from burning pine knots, he toiled on until "the small hours." By such unaided efforts he obtained a good common education. When sixteen years of age he was employed in a saw-mill, taking the position of a grown man, and laboring sixteen hours each day during the season. From that time until his majority he engaged in lumbering in winter and farming in summer.
At twenty-one he set out for Michigan, in the hope of being able to make for himself a pleasant home and an honorable position in society. When he reached his destination he had less than one dollar left; but he had an excellent constitution, great will-power, a strong determination to succeed, and was ready and willing to perform any kind of hard labor. In December, 1844, he commenced teaching school in Ingham county, Michigan, for ten dollars per month, the best price to be obtained. When spring came he engaged in chopping and clearing land, and during summer labored in the harvest field. In the fall following, having carefully saved his earnings, he commenced the study of the law. When his small amount of money had been expended for board and clothing, he left the office to work in the sawmill, harvest field, and to teach school, always taking his law books with him, and never allowing an hour to be lost. In this way, without assistance as to means for his support, he struggled on until, in October, 1849, he was admitted to practice in all the courts of this State. The following winter he visited his early home in the State of New York, and there engaged in teaching.
In the spring of 1850 he returned to Michigan, and commenced the practice of his profession at DeWitt. In the fall of 1851 he was married in Kent county, to Mary Ellen Gooch. In 1852 he was elected Prosecuting Attorney for Clinton county. He was re6lected in 1854, 1856 and 1858. He was one of the delegates to the national republican convention held at Philadelphia in 1856, and earnestly advocated the nomination of John C. Fremont for President. During the following campaign he was on the stump continually, and aided materially in carrying his State for the candidate of his choice.
In 1860 Mr. Strickland was elected to the Michigan Senate, in which he served on the Judiciary Committee, advocated and assisted in carrying through the bill allowing parties to testify in their own behalf in civil cases, and also allowing the respondent in criminal cases to make his statement to the jury in the nature of evidence, on which they may acquit if they believe it. His party urged him to accept a second term in the Senate, but he declined, and was again in 1862 elected prosecuting attorney.
In the early part of the rebellion Mr. Strickland was appointed by the Governor of Michigan, the Commissioner to superintend the draft, known as the State conscription. President Lincoln, in April, 1863, appointed him Provost Marshal for the Sixth Congressional District of the State, which office he held until after the close of the war, and was honorably discharged in October, 1865. In the execution of this most delicate trust he so performed his duty as to make a host of warm and earnest friends.
At the Congressional Convention held in his district in 1864-when the then member of Congress had not served out his first term-the nomination was tendered to Mr. Strickland by a majority of the delegates, which honor he respectfully declined, on the ground that the sitting member, by the usage of the party, was entitled to a second term, saying to the delegates that he could not accept the nomination and thereafter hold an honorable position in the party.
After his discharge as Provost Marshal, Mr. Strickland returned to the practice of his profession, and continued actively and successfully engaged therein until 1868, when he was nominated for Representative in Congress. He was a member of the Republican State Central Committbe in 1867 and 1868. Having been a delegate to the Chicago Convention that nominated General Grant for President, and being on the ticket, he canvassed nearly the entire district, speaking through fourteen of the eighteen counties of which it was composed, carrying all the counties but three, and being elected by more than 3,400 majority.
Taking his seat as a Representative from Michigan in the forty-first Congress, Mr. Strickland served on the Committees on Public Lands, Mines and Mining, and Invalid Pensions. The demands of his district upon its Representative were at that time unusually great; it had more than 1,500 miles of navigable coast; its agriculture would have averaged fairly with the other districts throughout the country; its exports of salt, pine lumber, iron ore, pig iron, and ingot copper were enormous, and its fisheries were equal in value to its wool and wheat productions combined. Notwithstanding this large extent of territory and varied interests to look after, he accomplished as much or more for his district than any other Representative from the State. He delivered a speech in the House upon the tariff, March 26th, 1870, which was well received.
After his return from Congress he again took up the practice of his profession. At the time of the second Grant campaign he joined the new party of Liberal Republicans, believing that the old Republican party had rendered its best services to the country.
In the following campaign of Hayes and Tilden, Mr. Strickland heartily supported Tilden and Reform, having looked and hoped in vain for a reformation to take place within the old party. He, appreciating more and more fully the fact that any party that has long held supreme power must become corrupt, and believing more firmly than ever that the good of the people demanded a new order of things, labored to that end.
When the great industrial and financial questions came up for consideration, he was found, as ever, on the side of the people and the oppressed. He worked with great zeal on this, as on all questions which lay near his heart, superintending and carrying on work after his health had so failed that he had been obliged to give up his business. It was in June of 1880 that Mr. Strickland was compelled to relinquish his cases in court and office business. His health failed steadily and gradually, notwithstanding his strong will and determination to get well, which probably prolonged his life some time. He went to the Sanitarium at Battle Creek for medical aid the 11th of March, 1881, where he died the following May 5th.
By his death society lost one of its most valuable members; the temperance cause one of its strongest allies and most ardent workers; the educational interests a firm and loyal supporter; and all who knew him a true friend and brother. To Mr. Strickland as much or more than to any other of its pioneer settlers, is Clinton county indebted for its gradual development and present material prosperity.
Volume 6 (1884) pages 265-270
JOSEPH W. BROMLEY a former and much respected citizen, and brother of Thomas Bromley, of St. Johns, died at his home in Lafayette, Ind., Dec. 27, 1881. Mr. Bromley was for several years station agent of the D. & N. R. R. at St. Johns; was afterwards connected with other roads in the State, acquiring considerable reputation as a railroad man.
JACOB DILLER a resident of the township of Greenbush for the past 15. years, died at Newark, Gratiot county, Jan. 11, 1882, where he had but lately taken up a residence. He was of German descent, and every one had a good word for "Uncle Jake."
MRS. CHARLES TURNER-died Jan. 12, 1882, of inflammation of the lungs aged 76 years. She came to St. Johns in 1856, and has seen the progress of time bring forth from the wilderness a thriving and pleasant place in which to spend her latter days.
JOHN CLARK who lived in the township of Watertown since 1867, died athis brother's, David Clark, in Eagle, aged 82 years. He moved from Vermont to Pontiac, Oakland county, in 1833, and resided there until his removal to this county.
HON. WM. SHEPARD died at his home in the village of Ovid, Feb. 4, 1882, aged 66 years. Mr. S. was born in Greenfield, Saratoga county, N. Y. He came to Michigan in 1843 and settled in the town of Duplain, and has lived in the county since that time. He was one of the first judges of our county court, and also held many other offices of trust. He was at an early day interested at Maple Rapids. The village of Shepardsville was founded by and named after him. He was a strong temperance man, and affiliated with the democratic party, and was considered one of the leaders of that organization for many years. He was one of the charter members of Clinton County Pioneer Society, organized Nov. 4, 1873, and is the fourth one of them who has since died.
MRS. CATHERINE FORMAN one of the oldest pioneers of Clinton county, died April 27, '82; was born in Huntingdon county, N. Y., 1814, removed to Seneca county, N. Y., and was there married to Samuel Forman Sept. 20, '32, and immediately removed to Wayne county, Michigan. In the fall of 1836 she removed to Watertown, this county; at that time the present village of DeWitt contained but one family-that of Capt. Scott.
MRS. JOHN V. SHAVER of Ovid township, died Feb. 22, '82. At the time of her death she was at the Asylum at Kalamazoo, where she had been for three years for treatment, her mind having become deranged under religious excitement.
JOHN VAN HOUSEN died March 27, 1882, aged 71 years. He was born in Seneca county, N. Y., and was a resident of Essex, this county, since 1864. He'was a prominent member of the Baptist church for 47 years.
MORRIS FEDEWA was born in Germany, Sept. 24, 1812, died in St. Johns, April 2, 1882. He emigrated to America in 1842, and settled in the town of Dallas, this county, on 80 acres of land. He was engaged in the mercantile business in Westphalia, for some time, but abandoned it in 1860 and returned to the farm where he made a comfortable home for himself and family.
STEPHEN PRICE of the township of Olive, died August 5, 1882. He was born in Ayrshire, England, February 5, 1818, and when eighteen years of age emigrated to America and located in Oakland county, Michigan. In 1852 he moved into Clinton county, where he resided for thirty years. He was one of the early pioneers of the county, and by his industry and strict integrity accumulated a handsome property and numerous friends.
JOSHUA GREEN died August 10, 1882. He was born in Massachusetts. In the year 1842 he removed from Oakland county, where he first settled, to DeWitt, Clinton county, where he remained till the year 1852, when he moved to the town of Olive, and afterwards, in 1870, he removed back again to DeWitt, where he lived till the time of his death, honored and respected by all who knew him.
REV. WM. MULDER pastor of the Congregational church at Victor, died August 25, 1882, aged 49 years. He was born in Holland, and emigrated with his parents in 1833, settling at Utica, N. Y. He was a graduate of Madison University, at Hamilton, N. Y. He came to Michigan in 1866, and located at Victor, Clinton county. He was in active ministry for sixteen years, and organized the Congregational church at Ovid. He was a clear and original thinker, a diligent student, and a devoted disciple of the Master. His life was an argument for Christianity, and an earnest of the better and future one.
COL. CHARLES E. GRISSON died at St. Johns, Nov. 20, 1882, was born at Hamburg, Livingston county, and was the son of Ferdinand Grisson, Esq., a pioneer of that county. Spending the earlier years of his life on his father's farm, he was preparing himself for the ultimate study of medicine by a course at the Ann Arbor High School, when the war broke out. As in many other cases his plans were changed and he enlisted as a private in Co. D., of the 4th Michigan Infantry, June 20th, 1861. On the organization of the 20th Infantry, in September, 1862, he was commissioned 2d Lieut., and receiving rapid promotion, he reached the rank of Colonel, being breveted for gallant and meritorious services. He was engaged in sixty battles and engagements, bearing himself bravely in all. His duties were various, in the ranks, as a field officer, and on the staff. At one time his regiment was in New York, called there daring the celebrated "draft riots," and after the close of the war as aid to Gen. Miles, commandant at Fortress Monroe, he was charged with the custody of the State prisoners, Clement C. Clay and Jefferson Davis.
Col. Grisson came to St. Johns after his final muster out, and entered into the grocery and crockery trade in the firm of Royce & Grisson, afterwards, for many years, he was teller in the first national bank, and in 1877 organized, with Mr. Alvin Shaur, the banking house of Shaur & Grisson.
He was connected with the Episcopal church, and continuously during his residence in St. Johns was a member of the vestry of that church.
Actively engaging in all public affairs of the community, Mr. Grisson made friends in every direction. He was a member of the fire department, and for several years its chief. For a dozen years he was treasurer of the village, and as a member of the school board he also well served his constituents. Every gathering of a festive or social character was incomplete without his assistance, and with his hearty labor and generous work, the hops, the dramatic club, socials, parades, and broom drills, and the hundred other public social enterprises of a town like ours have been joyous and pleasant occasions, and successful in the objects intended to be benefited.
He had great taste and capacity in military affairs, and being appointed by the late Gov. Bagley on his staff and on the military board in 1873, he was retained in these positions through the administrations of Gov. Croswell and Gov. Jerome, being at the time of his death president of the military board.
Col. Grisson bore high rank in the Masonic fraternity, being, at the time of his death, Grand Eminent Commander of the Knights Templar of the State of Michigan, the highest official position in the fraternity in the State.
His funeral was attended by the Governor and staff, by the officers of the Grand Commandry of Knights Templar, by delegations from different commandries of the State, and by a large concourse of sorrowing citizens and friends.
MRS. SALLIE ERNEST MERRIHEW wife of Benjamin Merrihew, died Nov. 26, 1882, at Olive, aged 73 years. She was born in Ulster county, N. Y., and was married in 1833. Moved with her husband to Clinton county in 1836, settling on the farm where they have since resided, helping to form the "Merrihew settlement," so long known as a landmark to the early settlers. Her husband survives her.
MRS. BETSEY WOODRUFF died Jan 30, 1883. She was born Jan. 5, 1800, near Boston, and moved to Clinton county, in 1838. She united with the M. E. church twenty-three years ago, has ever lived a Christian life, and is now enjoying her reward.
MRS. WALTER C. BUTLER died Feb. 26, 1883. She was born in New Britain, Connecticut, in 1829, and has been a resident of St. Johns since 1871. She was a member of Chapel street Congregational church, New Haven, Connecticut, and was a devoted Christian, an affectionate wife, a loving mother, and a kind neighbor.
HIRAM BENEDICT died March 1, 1883, aged 84 years. He was the first white settler in the township of Essex, and that beautiful stretch of country called "Benedict's Plains" was named in honor of him, and was for many years the seat of his activities and generous hospitality. He owned the first store in Essex, itself a small matter perhaps, but it carries one back to the days of pioneer life. He was kind to the poor, the widow and the orphan, in fact, there are but few of the old settlers in this community who have not realized some kindness from him. He was particularly active during the Gratiot famine in 1856, and many generous acts to the sufferers are still recounted by the remaining pioneers, now the able farmers of Gratiot county.
JAMES YOUDAN died March 17, 1883. He was born in England in 1824, and emigrated to this country in 1835. He had been a resident of this county since 1844, until within the past five years, when he moved to Clare county. He was for many years Supervisor from the township of Essex where he lived, and also held other offices of trust in his township. For his honesty, integrity, cordiality, and many acts of kindness, he was held in high esteem by the entire community.
MRS. FREDERICK R. BUTLER died March 25, 1883. She was born in this county in 1851, and was a daughter of George Buck. PETER MEAD-died April 28, 1883, aged 60 years. He was born at Elmira, N. Y. and has been a resident of St. Johns since 1858.
MRS. EMILY FOGLESANG died May 3, 1883, aged 70 years. She was an old resident of St. Johns, and an estimable woman.
MRS. JOSEPH WOOD died May 3, 1883, aged 66 years. She has been a resident of St. Johns upwards of twenty years, was an honored member of the Methodist church for many years. Her husband died June 3, 1883. Mr. Wood was engaged for many years in the milling business, first as miller for R. M. Stech, then for himself under various firm names, as Joseph Wood & Co., Wood & Russell, Wood & Sons.
MRS. JULIA E. FRISBEE wife of J. W. Frisbee, died May 9, 1883, at St. Johns. She was born at Grand Blanc, Genesee county, Michigan, May 18, 1838. For a score of years she was a member of the Congregational church, and leaves a large circle of friends to mourn her loss.
MRS. ELIZA FLAGLER died May 9, 1883. She was born in Duchess county, N. Y., September 14, 1799. She was a daughter of Col. Eli. Angevine, a notably good man, and an elder in the Presbyterian church. She was married to Daniel Flagler April 16, 1822, and has been a resident of St. Johns for fifteen years. At the time of her death she was living with her daughter, Mrs. Stephen J. Wright.
F. BYRON CUTLER died at his home in St. Johns, May 16, 1883, after a protracted illness of eight weeks. He was first taken in his office with neuralgia of the heart, which afterwards assumed the form of pneumonia. Mr. Cutler was born in Niagara county, N. Y., October 16, 1834, and moved with his father to Michigan in 1836, settling in Hillsdale county, at the place well known for many years as "Cutler's Corners," now the village of North Adams. He was a graduate of the Detroit commercial college, and from there was employed for three years in the register's office of Hillsdale county. His health being poor he spent the winter of 1859 in Texas, returning the next year, as far as St. Louis, on horseback. In 1861 he entered the service of his country as a private in company G, 2d Michigan cavalry, and was promoted to a lieutenancy in 1862. He resigned May 2, 1863, on account of his impaired health, and engaged in the real estate business in Hillsdale. In 1866 Mr. Cutler removed to St. Johns, since which time he has been a resident here, engaged in the real estate business, first as the firm of Cutler & Carrier, and at the time of his death in the firm of Cutler & Walker. Mr. Cutler was elected county clerk in 1872, and held the position two years, making the best clerk the county ever had. He held the office of coroner in 1876-80, and last spring was president of the village, and at the time of his death was a member of the board of State prison inspectors, having been appointed to that position by Gov. Jerome. He has held various positions of trust and honor in the Masonic order, the last one being eminent commander in the Knights Templar.
Mr. Cutler was an earnest working republican, for many years chairman of the county committee, and to his energy and devotion the success of the party in this county may be greatly attributed. He was connected with the organization of the Episcopal Church, and has been for many years a member of its vestry, though not a communicant. He was a cool-headed, deepthinking man of settled purpose, and when his determination was made, was persistent and laborious. He made many friends, and his loss to our community is one that will be long and sincerely felt.
Mr. Cutler was twice married - in 1858 to Mary Colwell, of Wheatland, Hillsdale county, who died at St. Johns in March, 1874; and in 1877 to Addie J. Grisson, daughter of Ferdinand Grisson, Esq., of Hamburg, Livingston county, and sister of Col. C. E. Grisson, whose death less than six months ago, was so generally mourned by our people.
The funeral was held at the house Friday afternoon, and the fact that the business houses in the village closed for two hours, and the large number of neighbors and sympathizing friends in attendance, well attested the place he held in the affections of the people. The Rev. J. W. Trimble, rector of the Episcopal church, offered prayers, and the Knights Templar used the services of their order, by request of the deceased. The city band headed the long line of carriages which bore the remains of the departed to the silent city on the hill.
Volume 7 (1885) pages 380-382
F. Byron Cutler died May 16, 1883. Mir. Cutler was born in Niagara county, N. Y., in 1824, and moved with his father to Michigan in 1836, settling in Hillsdale county. In 1861 he entered the army as a private, was promoted to a lieutenancy in 1862, and resigned on account of impaired health in 1863. In 1866 he moved to St. Johns, and has since resided there. He has held various positions of trust and honor, and was an earnest, working Republican. He was a cool-headed, deep-thinking man, and his loss to our community is one that will be long and sincerely felt.
Joseph Wood died June 3, 1883. Mr. Wood was born in Washington county, N. Y., September 11, 1811. He moved to Saline, Washtenaw county, in 1834; to Ionia county in 1840, and to St. Johns in 1862. His wife was buried about two months before him, and his daughter six months before; the funeral of each was held on the fifth day of the month.
Rodolphus Loomis died June 2, 1883, aged sixty-eight years. He was a native of New York State, and removed to Michigan in 1847, settling in Macomb county. In 1867 he removed to Duplain, Clinton county.
John Avery died at his home in the township of Bingham, September 15, 1883. He moved to this county forty-five years ago, and has resided here continuously ever since. He enlisted in the war of 1812, from his home in Lynn, Conn., at the age of fourteen, and participated in the capture of Fort George and the brigs Adams and Caledonia. He was taken prisoner by the Indians at Fort Erie. He was a staunch Union man during the Rebellion.
Myron Ellis died in Greenbush township, September 26, 1883. He was born in New York State in 1826, and removed to Ohio in 1848. In 1855 he removed from there to Michigan, and settled in Greenbush, where he cleared up one of the largest farms in that township. In the fall of 1876 he was elected county treasurer, and was re-elected in 1878. He was an estimable citizen, and the large concourse of friends who assembled to pay their last tribute of respect to him, showed the regard in which he was held.
James Hiscock died at the home of V. R. Lane in Greenbush, September 29, 1883. He was born in New York State, in 1797, and enlisted in the war of 1812 at the age of fifteen years. He has resided in Michigan for fifty years, and was a man known for his uprightness and integrity.
Nelson Daggett died at his home in Eureka, in December, 1883, at the age of seventy-two. He moved to Greenbush about forty-five years ago, from the State of New York. He has filled most of the offices of the township, and has been for many years director of the school district.
Mrs. Royal C. Lyon was born in Orleans county, Vermont, in 1816; went to Lodi, Medina county, O., in 1837, living there till 1853, when she moved to Michigan and has since lived on the farm where she died, December 28, 1883, being one of the pioneer settlers of the township of Bengal.
Nathan Mathews died at his residence in Greenbush, January 10, 1884. He was born in Steuben county, N. Y.; removed from there to Ohio, and then to Michigan, in 1855, where he has since lived. He leaves a large circle of friends to mourn his loss.
Mrs. Elizabeth J. Halstead died at her home in Essex, January 9, 1884. She was born in the State of New York, and was a daughter of the Rev. C. A. Lamb. She married A. J. Halstead in 1843, and came to the township of Bingham in 1844, where they have since resided most of the time.
Mrs. Margaret Merrill, wife of Floyd Merrill, died at her home north of St. Johns, on the 27th of February, 1884. She was born near New York in 1815, and removed to Ohio in 1843. In 1867 she came to St. Johns, where she has since lived.
Mrs. Doty died in Eureka, February 29, 1884. She was born in Leroy, New York, in 1805; came with her husband to Jackson county, Michigan, in 1837; and in 1854 removed to Greenbush township, and located on what is now known as the Doty farm.
Mrs. Henry H. Harrison of Elsie, Duplain township, died May 17, 1884, aged seventy-two years. She was the only surviving member of the original number that settled Rochester Colony forty-seven years ago.
Mr. James N. DeWitt died in Chicago, the latter part of April, 1884, Mr. DeWitt was born in New York State in 1817. In 1863 he settled in Bingham township and engaged in the store trade till 1870, when he removed to Bay City. In 1875 he returned here and resided here till last fall, when he moved to Chicago.
Volume 8 (1886) pages 26-28
CAPT. CHARLES GRANT. Capt. Charles Grant died at his farm in Bengal, January 11, 1885, aged ninety years, three months and nine days. He was born in Colrain, Mass., October 2, 1794. With his father, Isaac Grant, who served in the Revolutionary war and passed the memorable winter of 1778 with Washington at Valley Forge, he moved into Whitingham, Vt., and from there to Chenango county, N. Y., to the towns of Smyrna and Smithville. While living with his father at Smithville, the war of 1812 with Great Britain broke out, in which, young as he was, he took an active part, his motto then, as ever through life, being "My country and liberty." He was quartered at Sackett's Harbor, helping to guard that place while Gen. Brown's army was in Canada. For services rendered in that war he was allowed a pension of $8 per month from October 28, 1872, until his decease. He was promoted to the rank of captain. After returning to his home he taught successfully seven terms of school. By trade he was a carpenter. He was married in 1817. Concluding to try his fortune in the western wilds he came to Michigan in the fall of 1836, stopping for a time in Ann Arbor. From there he went to Mason, Ingham county, which place boasted of two inhabitants, and helped to erect the first saw mill in that place, for Gen. Wadsworth, and also one at Aurelius, six miles west of Mason. Then going on to Lyons, Ionia county, he assisted in building the first bridge across Grand river at that place. In 1837 he went back to New York, where he married (for his third wife) Emeline Gillette, of Gainesville. Returning in the winter of 1838 he worked at his trade until the spring of 1840, when he removed to Bengal, Clinton county, his family being the third in that township. He built on section 4 the first frame house of which the town could boast, in which he lived until 1848, when he moved to the south half of the northwest quarter of section 2, living there the remainder of his life, enduring many hardships and privations pertaining to pioneer life, doing nobly his part during the transition of Clinton county from what seemed to be an endless waste of forest to one of the finest counties in the State.
He united with the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1871. During his last illness he frequently said: " I have no fear of death," lingering without complaint or murmur, only waiting to be called hence. When near the last he said: "I am going home," and to friends who gathered near he beckoned not to weep for him. January 11, 1885, he passed away, full of years and followed by the love of all who knew the excellence of his thoroughly manly character. To mourn him he leaves a wife, five sons - C. W. Grant, secretary East Saginaw board of trade, Rev. Elihu Grant of Fall River, Mass., Eugene Grant, Glyndon, Minn., Isaac Grant of Reed City, and Loring Grant, who is living on the homestead in Bengal; and four daughters-Mrs... F. Young and Mrs. Frank Harvey of Bengal, Mrs. John Duncombe, Union City, Pa., and Mrs. M. L. Welter of St. Johns; twenty-one grandchildren, and twelve great-grandchildren. At his late home in Bengal, on the 13th inst., the last sad rites were performed by Rev. R. H. Bready of St. Johns. Of the large concourse of people who gathered to mingle their tears with those of the bereaved, many could, in memory, recall for half a century his voice, his dignified yet cheerful bearing, his contempt for anything mean or unmanly; and, as a generous kind hearted friend and father, he is deeply mourned by all who are left behind.
The following lines were written by Mrs. M. L. Welter, in memory of her father, Capt. Charles Grant:
Dear father, thy days of toil are o'er,
Volume 9 (1886) pages 26-28
Heman Thomas, of Eagle, Clinton county, died July 10, 1885. He was born in Middlebury, Ky., in 1810; he moved to Clinton county and settled on the farm, where he has always lived, in 1834, being one of the first settlers in the county. He was ever a strictly honest, upright, and temperate man, a true husband, and a kind and indulgent father.
Charles Turner, one of the earliest pioneers of St. Johns, died at his home, July 22, 1885. He was born in New Jersey in 1801, and when a young man moved to Geneva, N. Y., and from there to St. Johns in 1855. He was a member of the Congregational Church, and an exemplary man.
Mrs. M. V. Brown died September 8, 1885. Her maiden name was Fannie Hewitt, and she was born in De Witt in 1836, was married in 1853, and moved to St. Johns in 1864. Mrs. Brown was a faithful member of the Methodist Church, a devoted wife, and a highly esteemed member of society.
August 23, 1885, Geo A. Britten, of Essex township, committed suicide by shooting himself. September 6 his father, Jacob Britten, died at the age of seventy-six. September 7, his brother, Nathaniel Britten, died, aged forty-two. All were pioneers of Essex, having settled there in 1853, and were among the most respected citizens of that township.
Joab Baker, one of the pioneer lawyers of Clinton county, died at his home in Muskegon, September 24, aged eighty-six years. He settled in De Witt in 1847. In 1850 he was elected prosecuting attorney of Clinton county under the new constitution. When the county seat was removed to St. Johns, in 1857, Mr. Baker settled here; he moved from here to Grand Haven, and then to Muskegon.
Alonzo Plumstead, one of the pioneer business men of St. Johns, died November 4, 1885, at his home in that place. Mr. Plumstead was born in Clinton, Dutchess county, N. Y., in 1808. In 1835 he moved to Detroit; in 1836 to Northville, where he was engaged in the boot and shoe business till 1855, when he moved to St. Johns. For a long time he was one of the most prominent merchants in that place, and was identified with all the enterprises for its early development. For several years he was express agent. He was a genial, intelligent, and honorable citizen, and will be missed by a wide circle of friends.
Stephen Hill, the oldest pioneer of the township of Watertown, and a member of this society, died at his home the 5th of November. He purchased of the government and settled on the farm where he died, in 1837. By patient labor he made from the wilderness one of the finest farms in the township. He was a kind neighbor, and an esteemed and honored citizen.
Charles Coleman, a highly respected citizen of St. Johns, died December 29, 1885. He was born in Orange county, N. Y., and moved to Livingston county, Michigan, where he lived several years; thence he removed to St. Johns about twenty-one years ago. Mr. Coleman was not a member of any church, but believed in and practiced the religion of an honorable life.
Barney Bond, for the last thirty-one years a resident of Essex township, Clinton county, died at his home December 31, 1885, in his seventy-seventh year. He came to this county from Monroe county, N. Y.
Geo. W. Kinney died January 17, 1886, at the age of sixty-six. Mr. Kinney settled in the township of Watertown in 1847, and has resided there ever since. He has been respected and honored by all as a kind, obliging, and honest man, and a public spirited, useful citizen.
Mrs. Anna Richards, of Duplain township, died March 7, 1886, at the age of sixty-two years. She was born in Yates, Monroe county, N. Y., and came to Duplain in 1846, where she was an estimable christian woman.
Micah D. Pope died in Clinton county, March 10, 1886, at the age of seventy-seven. He was born in.Vermont and brought up in New York State. In an early day he worked in Rochester in the foundry of Jethro Wood, the first maker of iron plows. He moved to Ohio, and from there at the close of the war to Michigan. He was of a genial and social nature, always looking on the bright side of life.
Edward W. Higbee, of Watertown, died April 17, 1886, aged seventy-one. He was an old pioneer, having settled in Eagle in 1837, and has resided in that township and Watertown ever since. He was an honest, intelligent man, and his death is universally regretted.
Mrs. Maria Nichols, of Bengal, died April 22, 1886. She was born in 1803, moved from Genesee county, N. Y., to Oakland county, Michigan, in 1825, and came to Bengal in 1864, where she has since lived.
Wm. Besley, one of the earliest pioneers of Clinton county, died May 10, 1886, at the age of seventy-eight years. He was born in New York State, and settled in this county forty years ago. He was one of the charter members of the Clinton County Pioneer Society and took great interest in its meetings, and was also very much interested in the State Pioneer Society. In his later years he delighted in telling stories of his early life in Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and of Martin Van Buren, with whom he was personally acquainted. He was an intelligent and honorable citizen.
Volume 13 (1889) pages 161-163
Schanck, Peter, was born March, 1813, in Tompkins county, New York, and died in Clinton county, Michigan, April, 1887. In April, 1849, Mr. Schanck moved to this county, where he resided till the time of his death. He married Miss Rachel Jeffres, of Kurt county, Ohio, whom he survived four months.
Barker, Mary L., was the wife of George Barker, and daughter of the late Hon. James Kipp. Mrs. Barker was born in Erie county, New York, June, 1833, and died in St. Johns, May, 1887. In 1855 she moved with her parents to Duplain, Clinton county, where, in 1856, she married John.Float. In 1857 she moved to St. Johns, where she resided till her death.
Teachout, Asher, was born in Yates county, New York, in 1828. He came to St. Johns, Clinton county, from Ann &rbor, in 1859, and formed a partnership with D. C. Hurd in the grocery business. After a time he closed out his business with Mr. Hurd, continuing for a time by himself. He then associated with Hon. A. H. Walker, and conducted a general store. He bought out Mr. Walker's interest some years later and continued alone till 1885, when he retired from business on account of failing health. He died, May 24, 1887.
Besley, Janett, wife of the late William Besley, was born in Poughkeepsie, New York, May 20, 1813, and died June 11, 1887, aged 74 years. Mrs. Besley came to this country with her husband 44 years ago, and had lived in St. Johns 21 years. She was a member of the Michigan Pioneer and Historical Society.
Burhame, Henry, was born in Duchess county, New York, February, 1785. He came to Michigan in 1828, and settled in Saline, Washtenaw county; in 1843 he came to Ionia county, living there till 1866, when he moved to Maple Rapids. He died June 29, 1887, at the age of 102.
Calder, Oliver, born in Olive, Clinton county, March, 1848, died in the same place, August 11, 1887. Mr. Calder's parents were among the first settlers in the town. He was left an orphan at the age of 13, with scarcely anything but his hands to gain a living. By his honesty and perseverance he accumulated quite a property. In 1870 he married Miss Mary Baris, who, with one child, survived him.
Roberts, William, born January 1807, in Orange county, N. Y., died in Detroit, September, 1887. Mr. Roberts had been a resident of the State 46 years, and of Detroit 22 years. - He was twice married; in 1837 to Miss Julia Odell, of New York State, and in 1856 to Mrs. Jane Vincent, who survives him.
Miller, Mrs. Abigail. Mrs. Miller was born in New York State, in 1.817. When a young girl she moved with her parents to Michigan. She was twice married, her first husband, Nicholas Willis, living but a few years. In 1859 she married John Miller, who died a few months before her.
Hill, Cortland, died in Bengal, Tuesday, January 3, 1888; born in Cort and county, N. Y., in 1807. In 1837 he moved to Bengal, settling on the farm on which he died. In 1850, when the postofflce was first established in Bengal, he was appointed postmaster, which office he held at the time of his death. He held many township offices and was probate judge from 1850 to 1857. He was also president of the Clinton County Pioneer Society for many years, and was a member of the Michigan Pioneer and Historical Society.
Hill, Mrs. Lucinda, wife of Cortland Hill, died in Bengal, February 2, 1888, of heart disease, at the age of 71. 'She was born at Stone Arabia, New York, Feb. 18, 1816, and came to Michigan with her husband in 1837. She was a member of the Michigan Pioneer and Historical Society.
Richmond, Chauncy O., born in Leroy, Genesee county, New York, in 1831, died in Greenbush, Clinton county, April 4, 1888. Mr. Richmond moved to Michigan in 1856, and in 1864 settled in Greenbush. He was twice married, in 1854 to Miss Adelia Hoffman, who died in 1858, and in 1860 to Lucy Campbell, of De Kalb county, Illinois, who survives him.
Last update January 28, 2014